miércoles, 10 de septiembre de 2008

Picking scabs / Arrancando costras

I like to pick scabs. There is something morbidly delicious about ripping the dark pieces of coagulated blood off my skin. Beyond the repulsion, there is something soothing on the oxymoron of leaving raw skin exposed, something that makes me feel alive and chastised about feeling the ache, and the burn and the unequivocal feeling that I deserve to suffer because I went ahead and picked that scab.

Oddly enough, this is not the worst part. This is not the part I feel embarrassed about. Even though I sadly admit that Mom was right about telling me to leave my skin alone, when I look at the scar hieroglyphs of my body.

Oh no. This isn't the worst part.

My shame lies on the fact that I create scabs. I make myself bleed in order to have a scab to pick.

I couldn't believe there is actually a name for this: dermatillomania.

You may not see the worst, because my worst wounds are hidden under my hair. If I ever lose it all you'd find my head is a map.

You, among the world are the only one that knows this (before this confession). You know it, not just because you stop my idle hand creeping up to my head before I realize it. You know it not because you have seen my naked flagellated back. You know it not because you figured out there is something under my epidermis that demands a daily blood sacrifice.

You know it because the worst wounds I make sure to leave forever raw, forever bleeding, are those of my heart.

You keep wondering when I will let go, of something you didn't say, of something you didn't do.

I have a natural tendency to always bleed.

A vicious and resentful memory.

But last night I let you touch me.

Because I need you to dig your fingers in my wounds, your hand to search for something in the gash of my side.

So you'll see me, so you'll believe... once more.

_____________

Me gusta arrancar costras. Hay algo mórbidamente delicioso en arrancar oscuros pedazos de sangre coagulada de mi piel. Más allá de la repulsión, hay algo calmante en el oxímoron de dejar la carne viva expuesta, algo que me hace sentir viva y castigada por sentir el dolor, y el ardor y el inequívoco sentimiento de que merezco sufrir porque lo hice, porque me arranqué esa costra.

Extrañamente, esta no es la peor parte. Esta no es la parte de la que me avergüenzo. Aunque tristemente tengo que admitir que Mamá tenía razón al decirme que me dejara en paz la piel, al mirar los jeroglíficos de cicatrices en mi cuerpo.

Oh no. Ésta no es la peor parte.

Mi vergüenza está en que creo costras. Me hago sangrar para tener una costra que arrancarme.

No podía creer que existiera un nombre para esto: dermatilomania.

No podrán ver lo peor, porque las peores heridas están bajo mi cabello. Si algún día lo pierdo verán que mi cabeza es un mapa.

Tú, entre todo el mundo eres el único que conoce esto (antes de esta confesión). Tú lo sabes, no porque detengas mi mano ociosa avanzando furtivamente a mi cabeza antes de que me dé cuenta. Tú lo sabes no porque hayas visto mi desnuda espalda flagelada. Tú lo sabes no porque hayas descubierto que hay algo bajo mi epidermis que demanda un diario sacrificio sangriento.

Tú lo sabes, porque las peores heridas que me aseguro de dejar por siempre vivas, por siempre sangrando, son ésas de mi corazón.

Sigues preguntándote cuando lo dejaré que muera, algo que no dijiste, algo que no hiciste.

Tengo una tendencia natural a sangrar siempre.

Una cruel y resentida memoria.

Pero anoche te dejé tocarme.

Porque necesito que entierres tus dedos en mis heridas, que tu mano busque algo en la incisión de mi costado.

Para que finalmente me veas, para que me creas... una vez más.

4 comentarios:

Francisco Zulaica dijo...

una espina de maguey... tan arraigada está la dermatilomania en nuestra cultura. Saludos!

Anónimo dijo...

te entiendo.

Anónimo dijo...

te entiendo.

Anónimo dijo...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Related Posts with Thumbnails